This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating Division.
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 19.01.2022. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Operating Division : Transnet Group Services
Position Title : Snr Specialist : Strategic INIT Mgmt
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Strategy & Plan
Location : Johannesburg
Reporting To : GM:Strategy & Performance Management
Grade Level : C
Reference Number : 6003864
• To establish and manage a Transnet wide strategic initiative management framework that will ensure a focused, prioritised and streamlined approach to the management of initiatives geared for performance improvement and strategic growth, in support of the company strategy.
• To facilitate strategy execution by prioritising and managing strategic transformation initiatives, performance improvement initiatives as well as cost containment initiatives for the Transnet of today and the future
• Direct and oversee the end to end execution of complex initiatives, collaboration with senior leadership and facilitate reporting and milestone tracking to share progress, demonstrate impact and escalate concerns and risks promptly to senior leadership for discussion and remediation.
PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent. Please report any suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056. Initiative Management System
• Develop, implement and manage an enterprise-wide strategic initiative management framework for the execution of Transnet Strategy and Corporate Plan.
• Develop and mainstream guidelines for the Corporate Plan initiatives
• Drive the development and prioritisation of segment growth initiatives, performance improvement initiatives and cost containment initiatives.
• Ensure deployment of digital initiative management solutions to drive the smooth management of initiatives
• Develop and implement an initiative prioritisation model to develop a list of top 10 companywide initiatives and top 5 initiatives per operating division.
• Develop and implement a methodology to track initiatives, identify and escalate related performance risks.
• Develop evaluation criteria to understand the impact or none-thereof of specific initiatives.
• Entrench program management discipline and tailored realistic implementation plans for initiatives.
• Develop and maintain partnerships with Operating Divisions and Corporate functions to drive a smooth initiatives management system.
Performance Improvement Initiatives
•Identify initiatives to address various performance gaps in partnership with the process owners.
•Drive stakeholder engagement to ensure that performance initiatives are prioritised, allocated and tracked regularly.
•Bring diverse and thought-provoking perspectives, apply strategic thinking and analytical skills to explore, develop, gain agreement, and facilitate the implementation of initiatives
•Provide deep programmatic rigour and insight to rapidly lead, execute and deliver high impact and transformational business initiatives.
•Provide regular updates to the Executive Committee and other governance structures on the benefits of performance improvement initiatives
Qualifications & Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, Commerce, and any other related fields – Post Graduate degree will be an advantage
• Minimum 12 years working experience of which 5 years must be in enterprise-wide performance management, strategy execution and/or project management environments
• Minimum 3 years must be at management level
• Extensive experience in programme and project management as well as performance improvement and business turnarounds.
• Excellent eye for detail and written communications
• Experience in managing strategy execution initiatives
• Requirement of trust and honesty in the handling of finances as per the National Credit Act Amendment 19
Standard Job Requirements
• Driver’s license code 08
• Travel as required and approved
Strategy & Sustainability
Formulates strategies and business plans to achieve the overall organisations direction
Keeps abreast of internal and external factors that can impact the business
Generates new ideas or solutions by thinking “outside of the box”; reviews current processes or systems and identifies ways
to optimise them
PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent. Please report any
suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.
Leads by example Inspires, motivates and empowers team members to do their best.
Provides clear direction and sets performance standards/requirements for the team.
Leads and directs change initiatives
Leads and promotes equal opportunity and has an appreciation for diversity in the workplace.
Business Performance and Delivery
•Lead Business Performance
Leads the business to be more efficient and effective
•Strategic Decision Making
Is decisive and takes full accountability for decisions.
Understands and deal with various business situation using obtained knowledge and a broad spectrum of expertise.
Thinks in a systemic way but is open to new approaches.
Communicates the business strategy and objectives in a clear and manner.
•Collaborating and Networking
Build wide and effective relationships with people inside and outside of the organisation to help achieve the organisations
goals and objectives.
Leads by example; strives for a customer centric culture where everyone acts with the customer in mind.
•Persuading and Influencing
Is able to persuade and influence those around him/her for the benefit of achieving the organisations/department goals and
objectives. Identifies and influences key decision makers using strong persuasive techniques and creates a strong personal
impression that leads to buy in from others
Corporate Governance & Compliance
Always work in the best interest of the organisation and aligns business practices to the ethical obligations and good
•Leading Safety Practice
Leads safety practices by communicating, enforcing and supporting all safety standards and activities.
•Leading Risk Management
Identifies areas of risks and implements corrective actions to mitigate the impact of risks to ensure overall sustainability
•Learning and Applying Expertise
Dedicated to continuous learning and self-improvement
Manages pressure effectively and copes well with criticism and setbacks
Is aware of own leadership styles and is able to adapt style to enhance team and business performance
•Vigour & Personal Drive
Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm. Works hard and shows energy and persistence to achieve high
quality results. Is a role model for others who strive for personal excellence
PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent. Please report any suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.